Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Outcry at Oracle



Wow. I have never been a part of anything like that. It felt 100x more awkward than I'm sure you feel watching the video, though I unfortunately didn't get a close-up of Joe Lacob's face during the incident.

I'm sure the reverberations from Occupy Oracle will be felt for months (and years?) to come, but I don't really know what is going to happen, or what to think. I guess 5 hours isn't enough perspective to digest 36 years of history (since the last Warriors title).

I was composing a compilation of Tweets that I thought were interesting, but then Truehoop went and did the same damn thing. Great blogs think alike? Regardless, here's what I've been thinking:














And, lest you think what we are practicing here is "journalism" and "objectivity", must I once again remind you that I am the author of a post titled "Dwight Howard, Stop Being a Dick". No matter how Warriors fans act, no matter what you or the national media thinks about what just happened, I will always love the Warriors AND Warriors fans. There is a reason that the Oracle faithful embrace angry, disrespected players like Stephen Jackson, Baron Davis and Monta Ellis, and love them more than any other NBA market. Within this fan-base runs an angry undercurrent. This can be channeled positively, like when Baron viciously dunked in Andrei Kirilenko's face. Tonight we saw the negative side of that anger, but I can't say I blame the fans after seeing the franchise once again trade our favorite player (see: Richardson, Jason) after the owner talked about the playoffs at the beginning of the season. These fans have the most passion of any in the NBA, and it is Lacob's job to channel that constructively.

No comments:

Post a Comment