Thursday, June 21, 2012

And Many More.


There isn't much I can say on the first birthday of The Diss.  But I'll say something anyways.  Are you surprised?

In a year of great personal and professional change, The Diss remained a steady rock that I could rely on.  I am very happy that the blog was able to be revived after the five month lockout, and that it gained a small but vibrant readership over the course of the season.  While we partly have Jeremy Lin to thank for that, I do believe that it is the quality and consistency of our work that brings people to this anonymous little blogspot in the far corner of the internet.  For that, I am grateful -- to the contributors, to the league, and to all of you dear, beloved readers -- and excited.

It will be an interesting offseason for The Diss.  We'll be unveiling some new features, wrapping up some old ones, and finally finishing some longer pieces we've been working on.  There's some talk about test-driving a podcast, and expanding the ways in which The Diss disseminates media to the modestly-sized masses. We hope to add another full-time writer (or two).  And, perhaps most importantly, we'll be moving the site to a new home, and moving some of ourselves to new homes as well.  It's an exciting time to be a part of The Diss, and I think we've only begun to see what this site, and this growing collective of writers, are truly capable of.

I decided to poll the many people who have contributed their time and ideas to The Diss this year, and ask them what their favorite pieces from the past 365 days have been. These are the pieces they chose. I also asked them to say why, but that was far too much work for most of them.  I can't be too picky, I suppose.  They're busy folk, those Diss-cussants.

Happy Birthday to us.  Long live The Diss.


- JG

The Best of The Diss' First Year.
(In no particular order)

Hans Peterson

Andrew Snyder & Franklin Mieuli

Jacob Greenberg

Jacob Greenberg

Jacob Greenberg

Alex Maki

Jacob Greenberg

Jacob Greenberg

Jacob Greenberg
Jacob Greenberg

Jacob Greenberg

The Diss Collective


No comments:

Post a Comment